Truthfully, I struggled with what to title this recipe. It is cauliflower that is roasted with spices similar to the taco seasoning packets I grew up eating on ground beef in tacos and burritos. It has plenty of cumin, some garlic, and a little chili. So I toyed with “Taco Seasoned Cauliflower,” which I felt was too vague when there are so many kinds of tacos out there, and “Cauliflower for Tacos,” which I thought was too wordy. I also didn’t want to call it “Cauliflower Taco Meat,” so here we are with “Taco Cauliflower.” Speaking of too wordy, I know you didn’t need that explanation. Welcome to a glimpse of my brain.
I also didn’t want to write a whole recipe for tacos because you probably know how to make a taco by now. Likewise you probably know what you like and don’t like on your tacos, so I invite you to use this taco caulifower however you’d most prefer to use taco meat. If you want to make crunchy tacos with sour cream, lettuce, hot sauce and cheese, do it. If you want a taco bowl with cauliflower, black beans, avocado, and salsa, yes. If you want to make a loaded burrito, yum. The options are limitless. You do you! This recipe will make enough for about eight regular sized tacos.
- 1 large head of cauliflower
- 2 oz olive oil
- 1 T ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground chili or chili flake, or more to taste
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt or to taste
- Juice of 1/2-1 lime
- Preheat oven to 450F. Trim off the cauliflower leaves, and cut the cauliflower into small florets, about a half inch in thickness. It’s okay if some pieces are a bit bigger and please collect all of the crumbles too because those will be the nice crispy bits. Add to a large bowl and toss with olive oil, cumin and chili.
- Mince or finely grate the garlic and toss it with the cauliflower. Season the cauliflower with salt and black pepper if desired.
- Spread out on a sheetpan, lined with parchment paper, if desired. Roast the cauliflower for 25-30 minutes, until tender and nicely browned, tossing midway. Remove from oven and drizzle with lime juice.
- Serve as desired.