This mashup was honestly inspired by my love for the pumpkin cream cold brew topping at Starbucks. While I enjoy the coffee too, my favorite part of that drink is the creamy pumpkin on top. I wanted that as the main drink. The eggnog recipe itself is based on Alton Brown’s recipe, which I have been using for years at Christmas. It’s a fantastic, and if you want to make a classic eggnog, please check out his. Alton Brown’s Eggnog.
This recipe uses raw eggs. Generally I’m drinking it immediately and I don’t want to wait for it to cool. If you’re squeamish about raw eggs, you can whisk the pumpkin, cream, milk, simple syrup, and vanilla extract together and then heat in a sauce pan until tiny bubbles start to form. Then gradually temper it into the egg yolks. You’ll then have to wait for it to cool before adding in the egg whites.
Pumpkin Eggnog (Makes 1.5 quarts)
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar plus 2 tsp, divided
- 10 Allspice berries
- 6 whole cloves (Or you can also substitute a tsp of pumpkin pie spice for both spices)
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 egg whites
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 cup cream
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- Nutmeg to garnish, preferably freshly grated
- Make spiced simple syrup by combining 2/3 cup sugar, 1/2 cup water, allspice and cloves in a small sauce pan. Bring to a boil. Turn off and steep for at least 10 minutes. Strain into a different container so it can cool while you proceed to the next steps.
- Whisk egg whites with 2 tsp sugar in a stand mixer on high until stiff peaks from.
- Whisk egg yolks in a large bowl until they lighten in color. Add in spiced simple syrup, pumpkin puree, cream, milk, vanilla and a pinch of salt. Whisk until smooth.
- Add the egg whites into the pumpkin mixture and gently whisk to incorporate the egg whites and make the eggnog nice and foamy.
- Chill if desired or drink immediately. When ready to serve, either gently whisk to reincorporate the egg whites as they will have a tendency to rise to the top. You want to make sure each serving has some of the the creamy pumpkin eggnog and the foam. Or you can put it in a jar and shake it, and then pour from there.