I had my first Singapore Sling this year on my birthday. Most sources say the Singapore Sling was developed at the Raffles Hotel in Singapore, but it’s possible it was developed a bit earlier. (Check out this article from Imbibe.) It is a bit sweeter than cocktails I normally select, but so refreshing on a hot day. With pineapple, cherry, and lime it is basically spiked fruit punch.
The juice in it immediately made me think of brunch, and how this would be the perfect cocktail to make ahead. So when we made plans the following month to go to our friends’ for brunch, (for the first time in over a year, and all the adults vaccinated!!)I decided to make them. They do pack quite the punch though so I opted to do a twist on them and make it a spritz.
For this recipe most of the ingredients can be combined in a mason jar ahead of time. It makes it perfect for low-stress hosting, or you can easily take it with you to a friends house. Just bring a bottle of sparkling wine or water along and some cherries, and you’re ready!
This recipe has a lot of room for flexibility. I add a little of the cocktail cherry syrup from the jar for a touch of sweetness, but you could use simple syrup or grenadine. You may need less than an ounce depending on how sweet the cherry juice is, and how tart you like your cocktails. Also, even though this drink is a spritz, it’s still a moderately strong cocktail, so if you want to drink something with lighter ABV, swap in sparkling water for sparkling wine. It’s still delicious!
Singapore Sling Spritz (serves 6)
- 2 oz gin
- 2 oz Benedictine
- 1 oz cherry liqueur
- 1/2 oz triple sec or oragne liqueur
- 1 oz cocktail cherry syrup
- juice of two limes, strained if desired
- 1 bottle of sparkling wine or 24 oz sparkling water
- 6 cocktail cherries to garnish, such as Amarena, maraschino
- Combine all of the ingredients except for the sparkling wine and cherries into a mason jar. Shake to mix. Chill.
- When ready to serve, pour approximately 2 oz into a sparkling glass. Then slowly top off with about 4 oz of sparkling wine. Garnish with a cherry.